Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mobile Thursday review of Pocket God!!!!!



The very beginning of a game can make or break the entire experience, that is a lesson everyone should learn from Pocket god. The biggest complaint I have for Pocket god on the Android market is the lack of directions. The game looks good, it has humorous sounds, and it really has potential for being an entertaining game. Until you spend 40 minutes trying to figure out how to do anything in it. At the top of the screen there are a bunch of different settings, you can turn things on and other things off, but there are only pictures, no text. So you are left guessing what does what and what combinations will have some reaction with your minions.

I really wanted to like this but even now as I write this review I still don’t know how to do certain things or fully experience the game. I’m finding hidden levels and mini games within the game but after all this time playing I’ve yet to figure out how to bring a pygmy back to life. Since you only get 6 (you can add more as their ghosts despawn with time) as soon as you’ve killed them all you (or I since I can’t figure it out) are left with nothing to do. For a paid game without a free version this is a major problem.

Pocket god does have its upsides, it looks great on my HTC Thunderbolt and it never really slows down even when a lot is happening on the screen. There are a ton of different ways to kill your minions, everything from feeding them to the sharks, burying them alive, or harpooning them while they are being swarmed by piranhas. The game seems to get updated fairly regularly and they are adding new abilities via patches often (the most recent allowing you do draw rainbows, I don’t know the purpose yet). 

Where the game falls short in direction it makes up for in content. With 5 basic islands to play on, 1 underground environment and at least 2 hidden mini games, if you can figure out how to do it, there is certainly enough to do. Even as I write this I am finding new ways to do things (I just figured out how to make a shark armed with a laser shoot my minions).

Don’t expect to jump into Pocket god and find everything right off the bat, maybe it is by design maybe not, but the game takes awhile to understand. Combining actions and items make for new events. Pocket god does have some good things about it, it is humorous, it looks good, and it sounds are bearable (something most mobile games lack).  At 99 cents on the Android market, if you have the patience to learn it, this is a great game.

Ps. As I wrote the last paragraph, I spawned a dinosaur onto my minions and they had to battle it by throwing a spear I had to give to them. The dinosaur ate all my minions and won. This is just one of the new things I’m finding in the game as I play.

Pocket God's Rating: 72/100


If you like our news and reviews, follow us on Twitter @1upnerd or like us on Facebook. Also, share us with your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment